I have a bunch of left over cannabis from last year. Some good buds, but mostly smalls and shake. Leftovers, mostly dry, nothing you would consider good eating.
One of the attributes about a rosin press is it allows for easy concentration of older cannabis flower or trim that would otherwise go unused. And that’s what we’re doing today, we’re making a gumbo-like concoction with older stuff.
Here are the varieties used. Some were apical buds that got too dry, others were lowers, smalls and shake:
- Lemon Kush Headband by Humboldt Seed Organization
- Boss Hogg by the Cali Connection
- Cookies Kush by Barney’s Farm
- Night Terror OG by Rare Dankness
I also added some smaller LP buds, mostly to give this rosin CBD content:
- JWC Cannatonic
- Tantalus Cannatonic
- Tantalus Harlequin
In all, the entire collection amassed 15 grams. The cannabis was ground to a fine powder. This press trial was performed with a 160 micron bag. I did not seal the bag with thread, instead I lazily folded it and that seemed to work.
The material was pressed 4 times at temperatures increasing from 165F to 210F. Approximately 45% of the total yield was collected at 197F.
The rosin produced was dark in colour, likely due to degradation or oxidation. It’s likely partially decarboxylated due to the older material.
From 15 grams, about 1.2 grams of rosin was recovered, a 8% recovery. Water content was likely the issue behind the small yield, the majority of the material used was bone dry. Next time I try this, I may prep this material with a humidpak in hopes of receiving better yields.