Talking homegrown cannabis today, so we’re going to shift slightly towards some different topics. We’ll still review flavour profile, structure and genetic lineage for each variety, but we can also talk about the plant in more depth.

Today, we’re talking about the fabulous, Blue City Diesel, Platinum Sour Edition, from Jordan of the Islands.

This Blue City Diesel was phenotyped in soil, cloned and grown hydroponically. Two separate clones were grown under LED (COBB Full Spec) and HPS (Full Spec) in separate spaces, we review the LED version here. The plant was vegetated approximately 30 days and flowered for 54 days. The Blue City Diesel yielded 47.2 grams (not including lowers) from a ~6.25 square foot space. Purchasing this quantity by the average price per gram via a medical producer would have cost $465.39 and about $590 in legal recreational stores. All in, costs were $85 approximately, hardware costs are negligible. Doing the math, cost was about $1.80 per gram or $1.02 per day (0.57 grams per day of growth). This was a comparatively small plant, we’ll see these metrics change as we continue the home grow reviews. I will index and chart these varieties using an equation that encompasses time, cost and yield, look for that later.

We’ll talk output first, then production.

This Blue City Diesel is the chronic, it’s really something special. It’s Jordan’s Blueberry with their most sour New York City Diesel. They have two versions of this variety, regular and platinum sour edition, we review the latter here.

The nose on the Blue City Diesel is tart blues, tight and poignant, with sweeter edges blended to buzzy sour notes. The frontage of the flavour profile greets with a shade of polite sweets but it’s entirely deceptive, as the majority of the profile is high strung chemical notes bordering the line between acidic and citrus flavours. With use the sweets disappear altogether, leaving an unrelenting acid note with serious longevity.

Blue City Diesel’s structure is finger like. Rounded hybrid buds not quite large enough towards the bottom to be considered spherical. I’ve stripped all smaller buds and lowers from this plant for a dry sift hash process, so most of the buds I harvested are fingerprint diameter at least.

Growing the Blue City Diesel was relatively painless. This plant grew in a 25 square foot grow tent in deep water culture hydroponic.  I started this run with the Mars 1600 LED light, the Mars light failed mid-way through and I had to sub in 2x 1600 COBB LEDs to finish the job. I allowed the plant to flower for 54 days before flushing with <220ppm tap water, changed every 24 hours until the PPM remained constant.

Aquaponic water decanted from a fresh water fish tank was used as fertilizer to grow the Blue City Diesel. I do not monitor nutrient levels at all. I clean an area of the fish tank weekly and dump the bucket in the grow reservoir. I do not spend hundreds of dollars on name brand fertilizer, boosters or bulking agents. Instead, I blow that money on expensive fish food and retail cannabis.

Trimming the Blue City Diesel was ok. I hand trim using the El Capitan recommended trim scissors, I do not have a machine trimmer. I want a plant that has a fat bud, skirted by a small amount of leaf. This plant was leafier, and less dense but not overly cumbersome to trim. See the pictures, I don’t get crazy with my trim and don’t mind leaving some smaller leafs on the bud. If I have to show it, I’ll shape the bud against a screen, which takes off all the random trim, but I use it either way. This is why I don’t really care if an LP gives me leafier bud or the super-close trim, I’m fine with 0.9% of the buds total mass being trim or I’ll quickly manicure it myself.

The Blue City Diesel yielded 47 grams in the LED tent and about 19 grams under the HPS light. In both tents, other plants grew more aggressively than the Blue City Diesel and began to creep into its territory. For both clones, stretching was minimal, possibly because it was overshadowed. Because of the tight internodal space and ample bud size, I expect this could have produced 150-300 grams per plant in my setup, if it were allowed to reach its maximum potential.

The Blue City Diesel on the LED side taught me about the importance of using two layers of trellis. By the end of the cycle, it had pushed the original trellis lower towards the reservoir and its arms were laying flat or on top of other buds, so I had to tie it to itself and other plants using velcro tape. This did not occur in the HPS tent, which grew some different varieties as well but yielded more mass. So I suppose I learned to use a double layer with the Blue City Diesel.

My dance card is full, I did not keep this clone, so I won’t grow the Blue City Diesel again anytime soon. Now that I am familiar with its flower, I regret the decision slightly. I won’t run out of it for a while, but once I do, we’ll see how much I miss it.

This Blue City Diesel grew next to The CBD Crew’s CBD Therapy, and next time I’ll tell you how that variety turned out.


Leave a Reply

You don't have permission to register